Heavy rain can lead to dangerous flooding and a properly functioning sump pump is a requirement to help keep your home safe in these situations. Storms are unpredictable; however, a properly working sump pump will make sure your home is prepared so that you don’t have to worry.
You need to make sure your sump pump is ready for heavy rain because this one element will either protect your home or lead it to danger in the event of a storm, so you need to check on its condition.
In order to determine whether your sump pump is ready for rain, you must test it to ensure it is working and the following tips will guide you through the process:
- Find the exterior pipe that catches the water as it drains from your pump and makes sure the inside of it is clean because dirt and debris will clog your drain.
- Fill a large bucket or pot with water and slowly pour it into the sump pit to see the water level within it.
- You should see the float on the sump start to rise and your pump should kick in before any of the water reaches the top of the pit. As the pit begins to empty, your system should turn off.
- If you see that the float does not rise or that the pump does not turn on or off automatically, then it may be an indication of a problem and your pump should be inspected more thoroughly.
- Always make sure your pump is plugged into a working outlet. While this may be obvious, it can be overlooked, so double-check this aspect.
You must also remember that heavy thunderstorms can sometimes lead to power outages and this can lead to more problems for homeowners because sump pumps rely on electricity to run. This means that when your power goes out, your sump pump will stop working, and for this reason, a battery back-up system is generally recommended. Homeowners would benefit from the installation of this system because it would serve as an additional line of defense for the sump pump.
If you think your sump pump needs a repair or are concerned that it is not ready for rain, contact Aslan Plumbing for exceptional service, repairs, or a replacement today! We are one of the top plumbing companies in the Winnipeg area and our professional and experienced plumbers can help with drain cleaning and any other plumbing services you may require, so give us a call now!